A highlight of the 2001 ELCIC National Convention was the approval of Full Communion with the Anglican Church of Canada. Anglicans, who held their General Synod down the road at the University of Waterloo, also approved the Full Communion agreement. During Convention several joint activities were held.
- Presentation by the Anglican-Lutheran Joint Working Group. The ACC website offers archived video of the Anglican presentation.
- Brown Bag lunch and study on Saturday.
- Banquet on Saturday evening,
- Worship service at the Waterloo Recreational Complex on Sunday morning. For those not able to join the celebration in person, Bishop Telmor Sartison wrote a brief sermon for use in ELCIC congregations for the fifth Sunday after Pentecost, July 8th 2001.
Additional articles on the signing of the Waterloo Declaration include the following:
This historic event also gained the attention of the media:
- London Free Press, July 9, 2001 (link broken)
- CBC News, July 9, 2001
- Ottawa Citizen, July 7, 2001 (link broken)
Denominations forge partnership
Anglicans, Lutherans to share buildings, clergy, members
- Kitchener Waterloo Record, July 7, 2001
In full communion
Lutherans, Anglicans vote overwhelmingly to forge closer ties
- Toronto Star
Churches sip from same cup, July 7, 2001 (link broken)
Anglican, Lutheran churches vote for closer ties, July 6, 2001 (link broken)
- The Globe and Mail, July 7, 2001 (link broken)
Anglicans, Lutherans vote for closer links