The total Directed Giving for Mission in the World (MW) in 2005 was $189,500.
This accounted for 83% of the core budget for the ELCIC MW program (excluding national office staff salaries). These funds were provided by 161 congregations, 29 individuals and 15 Evangelical Lutheran Women's groups for a total of 205 donors. Here is a summary of how the donations were designated.
Summary of Designations for 2005 Directed Giving
|| 61 %
|World Mission (unspecified)
|| 24 %
|Patagonia Mission Sponsorship
|| 13 %
|Partner Church programs
|| 2 %
MW Directed Giving decreased by about $22,000 in 2005 as compared to 2004. This was due primarily to a drop in the number of donors by 37 in 2005 since the average contribution per donor increased to $924 as compared to $875 in 2004. The total for World Mission (unspecified) was down by $14,000 but the more than $46,000 received in 2005 is similar to historical levels. These funds are used throughout the MW budget to help maintain a varied world mission program (see Mission in the World Updates). 2005 was the third year for Patagonia Mission Sponsorship and the total contributions remained steady at $24,000.
- World Mission (unspecified)
- Rev Katharine Bergbusch, Long-term Missionary, Peru
- Rev Brian Rude, Long-term Missionary, El Salvador
- Bonnie Weppler, Long-term Missionary, Papua New Guinea
- Lori Endress, Long-term Missionary, Thailand
- Patagonia Mission Sponsorship: Rev Gustavo Gomez and Rev Sergio Utz
- Peru Pastors: government social security benefits for the six pastors of the Peruvian Evangelical Lutheran Church
- El Salvador—Quetzalcoatl Foundation: HIV/AIDS prison and community ministry.
- Cameroon: Garoua Boulai Bible School & Seminary
- Papua New Guinea: Partner Church programs
- Support for individual Volunteers in Mission which is normally raised by their local support groups.
- Support for ELCIC missionaries from outside agencies including the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Payap University in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Funds forwarded to overseas churches for specific purposes not originated by Mission in the World office but often as part of the Companion Synod Program.
Program Coordinator, Mission in the World
Toll free 1.888.786.6707 Ext 164
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada,
302-393 Portage Ave,
Winnipeg MB R3B 3H6