Evangelical Lutheran Women
302 - 393 Portage Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba. R3B 3H6
Executive Director: Ruth Vince [e-mail]
Phone: (204) 984-9160.
Fax: (204) 984-9162.
Publication: Esprit [e-mail]
- The reported patterns were varied.
- Up to 9 positions were reported with a total of 242 positions reported over this 25-year period.
- 96% of all respondents reported a first position, 71% a second, 46% a third, 30% a fourth, 21% a fifth, 11% a sixth, 6% a seventh, 5% an eighth, 1% a ninth.
- Sole pastor was the most frequently reported for all positions; very few senior positions were reported, even in the later positions (#7, 8, 9).
- Only two senior pastor positions were reported among all the 242 positions.
- The majority of these positions were full time in single-point parishes located primarily in urban or suburban settings, except for the first positions which had nearly equal percentages in rural and urban settings.
- Details on first position
- 43% began first position from 1975-1990
- 59% were sole pastor in first position
- 16% were associate pastor and 11% were assistant pastors
- 39% were in rural setting, 38% in urban, and remainder in other settings
- 67% were full time
- 52% were single-point parish, 37% multiple-point, 4% non-parish setting, 7% other
- average length of time in first position was 3.5 years and range 1-11 years.
- The majority of respondents reported engaging in 1-2 continuing education activities a year.
- The comments indicated participation was limited by location, family responsibilities, congregational budgets, and subject matter interests.
- The open-ended question revealed a wide range of interrelated personal, community, relational, professional, structural, and organizational supports.
- Only a few women had sought professional help.
- Some women noted in their comments that there is a need for specific supports to be developed for women in ordained ministry.
to Ministry in the Wider Church