March 14, 2011
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC), through its partnership with Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR), is appealing to its members for financial support for humanitarian aid to assist the people of Japan.
The biggest earthquake to hit Japan since records began 140 years ago struck the northeast coast on March 11, generating a 10 meter tsunami that swept away everything in its path and killed at least 10,000 people. 350,000 people are living in evacuation sites at the moment. The number of dead is expected to rise as the situation becomes clearer.
CLWR is issuing an appeal for funds to support the humanitarian aid being provided through ACT Alliance. ACT reports there are various gaps in basic needs such as water, food, blankets, electricity, health and sanitation kits that evacuation sites are facing, since most efforts at the moment focus on search and rescue and evacuation from radiation contaminated areas where explosions at nuclear power plants have taken place.
ACT Alliance is in the midst of a needs assessment from both land and air. ACT General Secretary, John Nduna said, “We are deeply concerned and we are monitoring the situation closely so that ACT Alliance can direct its resources to where they are most needed, as quickly as possible.” Should ACT decide not to proceed with an aid program for Japan, CLWR will work through other partners to deliver effective and efficient humanitarian aid.
Donations to the appeal may be made in the following ways:
1. ELCIC members are asked to donate to the appeal by making a designated offering donation for Japan Earthquake through their congregation.
2. Donations may also be made through CLWR:
* AFTER MARCH 15 - Online at www.clwr.org/donate. In the process of completing the form, you will come to a pull-down menu that allows you to designate a specific project. Choose Japan Earthquake.
* By calling CLWR's toll-free number: 1.800.661.2597 or locally at 204.694.5602.
* By sending a cheque made payable to CLWR and mailed to: CLWR, 302-393 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B 3H6. Please indicate in your correspondence that you wish to contribute to the 2011 Japan Earthquake Appeal.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is Canada's largest Lutheran denomination with 152,500 baptized members in 607 congregations. It is a member of the Lutheran World Federation, the Canadian Council of Churches and the World Council of Churches.
Material provided through ELCIC Information is intended for reproduction and redistribution by recipients in whatever manner they may find useful.
For more information, please contact:
Trina Gallop, Director of Communications
302-393 Portage Ave. Winnipeg MB R3B 3H6
Subscribe or unsubscribe to ELCIC Information by emailing email@example.com with a short message.