March 2, 2015
Congregations throughout the ELCIC are asked to designate one Sunday in 2015 to highlight the ELCIC Praise Appeal at a time that works best for your local circumstances.
This year, the ELCIC Praise Appeal Theme, Liberated by God's Grace: Creation - Not for Sale, echoes The Lutheran World Federation theme for the commemoration of the 500th Anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation.
You will see the ELCIC lift up this theme of Liberated by God's Grace and it's three subthemes (Creation - Not for Sale, Salvation - Not for Sale, and Human Beings - Not for Sale) over the next three years as we participate in the international and ecumenical commemoration. The commemoration gives us the opportunity to remember and reflect on the Reformation and what it means for us now, living as Lutheran people within the whole body of Christ.
The Praise Appeal theme, Liberated by God's Grace: Creation - Not for Sale invites us to explore the Lutheran understanding of the doctrine of justification and sets us free to serve our neighbours, to be responsible citizens in the world and faithful stewards of all God's creation. Through your gift to the Praise Appeal, you help us fulfill this work through:
- Our partnerships with KAIROS and the Anglican Church of Canada as we work in the areas of homelessness and affordable housing and responsible resource extraction;
- Our partnership with The Lutheran World Federation and Canadian Lutheran World Relief as we work to support refugees around the world;
- Our partnership with churches in Argentina and Peru as we help support ministry in indigenous communities within these churches;
- Continuing the Call to Spiritual Renewal, working to deepen the discipleship of all our members and learning new ways to reach out in faith to those around us; and
- Building better relationships with other denominations and faiths here in Canada, through the Canadian Council of Churches, and around the world through the World Council of Churches
Congregations throughout the ELCIC are asked to designate one Sunday in 2015 to highlight this appeal at a time that works best for your local circumstances.
Resources for the 2015 ELCIC Praise Appeal can be found at: elcic.ca/praiseappeal