The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC), through its partnership with Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR), is appealing to its members for financial support to assist those affected by flooding in southern Alberta and across the province.
Up to 100,000 people living in low-lying areas in and around Calgary were evacuated overnight. Overland flooding was expected to continue today. Residents were being asked to avoid the downtown core. Schools throughout the city were closed.
The flooding spanned across southern Alberta. Flash floods hit the community of High River, south of Calgary. Canmore and Turner Valley were also significantly impacted.
Reports indicate water levels in Calgary are three times that of the floods that hit southern Alberta in 2005.
A domestic appeal has been issued to assist those affected by the floods in southern Alberta. Funds will be primarily used to: help relocate those affected to safe areas; provide emergency shelter; provide food; and support congregational programs that provide emergency service.
Donations to the Southern Alberta Flood Appeal 2013 made be made in the following ways:
- ELCIC members are asked to donate to appeals by making a designated offering donation for “Southern Alberta Flood Appeal 2013” through their congregation.
- Donations may also be made through CLWR.
- Online at www.clwr.org/donate.
- By calling CLWR at 1.800.661.2597 or 1.204.694.5602.
- By sending a cheque made payable to CLWR and mailed to: CLWR, 600-177 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 0W5. Please indicate in your correspondence that you wish to contribute to the “Southern Alberta Flood Appeal 2013.”
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is Canada’s largest Lutheran denomination with 145,376 baptized members in 594 congregations. It is a member of the Lutheran World Federation, the Canadian Council of Churches and the World Council of Churches.
Material provided through ELCIC Information is intended for reproduction and redistribution by recipients in whatever manner they may find useful.
For more information, please contact:
Trina Gallop, Director of Communications
600-177 Lombard Ave. Winnipeg MB R3B 0W5
Subscribe or unsubscribe to ELCIC Information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a short message.